The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Everett man draws 12-year term for rape conviction

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
By Scott North
Herald Writer
An Everett man dabbed tears Monday before he was sentenced to at least a dozen years in prison for raping a teenage girl one morning as she headed to her job at a fast-food restaurant.
Larry Baker, 36, told a Snoho­mish County jury that the girl in August 2007 engaged in consensual sex. She testified that Baker jumped out of a hiding place and held a box-cutting knife to her throat. He raped her in the dirt and then asked her if she'd enjoyed the experience.
Superior Court Judge Ronald Castleberry on Monday said jurors reached a fair and correct verdict based on the evidence.
He said Baker was found guilty of an "extremely vicious" rape, and his minimum sentence needed to be the longest allowed: roughly 12 years.
The parole board could order Baker imprisoned even longer. The maximum is life.
Baker stood largely silent at his sentencing. The only emotion he displayed was when his wife and his mother told the court that prison would keep him away from his three children.
Baker's attorney, Pete Mazzone, said his client was in a ­difficult ­position. His client still maintains he's innocent. There also are "additional troubles that he may have to answer to," Mazzone said.
Baker was linked to the south Everett attack in part by genetic evidence collected in a 2004 knifepoint rape in Waterloo, Iowa. Baker had emerged as a suspect in the Waterloo case, but left Iowa before police there obtained genetic samples for testing.
After the Everett attack, a computer matched DNA from both cases, which were separated by three years and more than 1,800 miles.
Detectives determined Baker lived in the neighborhood where the Everett rape occurred. They obtained court-ordered genetic testing. Baker was arrested based on the results.
The Waterloo, Iowa, attack wasn't part of the case presented in Everett and Castleberry said he couldn't consider it for sentencing. Jurors deliberated for two days before finding Baker guilty of first-degree rape.
The victim in the Everett attack had been walking to work at McDonald's about 7:30 a.m. on a Sunday when a man grabbed her and dragged her into the parking lot of an apartment complex off Fourth Avenue W.
The nature of the attack "paints Mr. Baker as a predatory and dangerous individual" who needs to be locked away as long as the law allows, Snohomish County deputy prosecutor Craig Matheson said on Monday.
It's unclear if Baker will first serve his time for the Everett rape before he's extradited to Iowa. Authorities there have a warrant for his arrest.
Story tags » EverettCrime

More Local News Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates