The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Emory's arson suspect surrenders

Ryan Frye, who failed to show up for a Sept. 21 hearing, is accused of causing the fire that destroyed a Silver Lake restaurant in November.

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
By Diana Hefley
Herald Writer
EVERETT — A young arson suspect who is accused of setting fire to a Silver Lake restaurant is back behind bars after surrendering to authorities Saturday night.
Ryan Frye, 16, was wanted by police after he failed to show up for a court hearing Sept. 21. The Everett teen is accused of causing the Nov. 9 fire that destroyed Emory’s. He is charged with first-degree arson.
Frye was first arrested in April after police received tips from people who said they recognized the teen from video surveillance taken from outside the restaurant shortly before the fire started.
The blaze caused about $2 million in damage and left about 50 people out of work. The lakeside eatery is being rebuilt and is expected to reopen next month.
Frye was released in August pending trial because authorities were having technical difficulties retrieving the video footage to provide his defense attorney. Detectives extracted the crucial videos from a water-damaged computer system. Forensic experts had to dig into the hard drives to retrieve the video files.
Frye was ordered to attend a court hearing Sept. 21 after allegations arose that he violated the terms of his release. Frye had tested positive for drugs and failed to meet with his counselor, court records said.
Police began searching for Frye after he failed to show up for another court hearing on Sept. 30.
Frye turned himself in about 10:30 p.m. Saturday to authorities at the Denney Juvenile Justice Center, Everett police Sgt. Robert Goetz said. He appeared Monday in court, where a judge ordered him held on $5,500 cash-only bail. His trial is scheduled for Nov. 9.
Restaurant owner Emory Cole, who was angered the teen had been released, was relieved that Frye was back in jail. Cole was concerned that Frye would return to damage his restaurant.
“He’s where he should be as far as I’m concerned,” Cole said.
Diana Hefley: 425-339-3463;
Story tags » EverettFireArson

More Local News Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates