The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Trial in Alderwood robbery on hold again

A judge determines that suspect Joshua Rockwell isn't competent to stand trial and orders him to be held another six months at Western State Hospital.

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
By Diana Hefley
Herald Writer
@dianahefley
Published:
EVERETT -- It's been almost a year since a Snohomish couple was robbed at Alderwood mall, but so far the criminal case against the suspect has been put on hold.
During the past year state doctors have determined that Joshua Rockwell is unable to assist in his own defense. A Snohomish County judge on Thursday again found that Rockwell isn't competent to stand trial.
She ordered Rockwell to be held for another six months at Western State Hospital. The judge also gave hospital staff the authority to force Rockwell to take medications if he refuses.
Rockwell has been living with schizophrenia.
The case against him can't move forward until a judge is convinced that Rockwell understands the allegations against him and can assist his lawyers in defending against those allegations.
He is charged with first-degree robbery for the Aug. 18, 2010 Lynnwood hold-up. Prosecutors allege that Rockwell pulled a knife on a husband and wife in the mall parking lot and ran off with the woman's leather pocketbook.
The pair had gone to the mall to celebrate part of their 60th wedding anniversary.
Lynnwood police arrested Rockwell a few days later. Detectives said Rockwell was identified through surveillance video that captured a man running through the parking lot.
For the last year Rockwell has been locked up at Western State Hospital. He could remain there if doctors are unable to restore his competency in the next six months.
Prosecutors likely would drop the charge against Rockwell and move to have him committed to the hospital indefinitely. If his competency is ever restored, the charge could be refiled, Snohomish County deputy prosecutor Mara Rozzano said.
Diana Hefley: 425-339-3463; hefley@heraldnet.com.
Story tags » EverettLynnwoodRobbery

More Local News Headlines

NEWSLETTER

HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates

Calendar

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus