Snohomish County Career Fair - September 10
The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Thumbprint leads to arrest in Marysville bank robbery

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
By Eric Stevick
Herald Writer
MARYSVILLE -- A thumbprint on a note handed to a teller has led to an arrest in a Marysville bank robbery.
Police arrested the man, 29, on Friday for investigation of the Aug. 9 robbery at a US Bank inside the Albertson's supermarket, 11404 State Ave.
A robber that day handed a teller a note that threatened violence if his demands weren't met, according to court papers.
The note began: "My partner is in the parking lot with a police radio. If you hit the alarm, he will know and start shooting. I am armed as well."
The teller had 30 seconds to provide $100,000 in $100 bills.
The note concluded: "You can call the cops five minutes after I leave. If you call before then my partner will know and start shooting. Give me this note back. Your time starts now."
The teller gave the robber money but kept the note.
The Washington State Crime Lab processed the note and found a left thumbprint matching the suspect.
Detectives found a Florida booking photo of the suspect from December 2010.
The photo appeared to be the same person caught on video surveillance during the bank robbery, according to court papers.
Police then learned the suspect had a food-stamp card in Washington at the time of the robbery. The card had been used in Lake Stevens the afternoon of the robbery.
Marysville detectives learned the man had been staying with a family in Lake Stevens. They drove to the home and waited for him to leave, Marysville police Lt. Darin Rasmussen said. The suspect was taken into custody without incident.
The man chose to represent himself at a bail hearing Monday instead of using a court-appointed lawyer.
The man began to make an argument but was cut short when he appeared to be challenging the court's authority and started talking about a security agreement from Clark County, Nev. The judge quickly ended the hearing and corrections officers ushered the suspect away.
Court-appointed attorney Bill Jaquette said he didn't know about the man's desire to represent himself until the Monday hearing.
"He was challenging the jurisdiction of the court and his (argument) for challenging that I didn't understand," Jaquette said.
District court Judge Roger Fisher maintained bail at $250,000.

Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446,
Story tags » MarysvilleRobbery

More Local News Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates


Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus