The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Rapist, suspect in 1995 cold cases will remain behind bars for now

Courts will determine whether Danny Ross Giles should be declared a sexually violent predator.

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
By Scott North
Herald Writer
SEATTLE -- A convicted rapist suspected in the 1995 slayings of two Snohomish County women will be locked up at least until mid-2012 while the courts determine whether he should be deemed a sexually violent predator.
Danny Ross Giles, 43, appeared in King County Superior Court on Friday where he stipulated there is probable cause for a judge to find he may be subject to the state's sexual predator law.
Giles also waived his right to a speedy civil trial to decide whether he should be indefinitely detained and ordered to undergo sex-offender treatment.
The move came after Judge Mariane Spearman made clear she wasn't going to dismiss the case against Giles, as his attorneys earlier had urged.
She signed an order moving Giles from the King County Jail to the state's Special Commitment Center on McNeil Island. He's to remain locked up there until a trial determines whether he suffers from mental abnormalities or personality disorders that make him likely to engage in acts of sexual violence.
The trial is unlikely to begin for at least nine months, maybe longer, the court was told Friday.
Giles was convicted in 1987 of a rape in Lynnwood and two other sexually motivated crimes in King County. Over the years he repeatedly has refused to participate in sex-offender treatment.
Prosecutors at the end of July sought his indefinite detention and treatment as Giles was scheduled to be released from the Washington State Reformatory. He'd been locked up there serving every day possible for exposing himself to two co-eds near the University of Washington in 2005. That was a felony because of Giles' sex offender history.
While behind bars, genetic tests reportedly linked Giles to two cold cases: the 1995 killing of Patti Berry and the presumed slaying of Tracey Brazzel. Brazzel disappeared just weeks before Berry's body was found.
Both women were last seen alive just south of Everett, not far from where Giles was then living. Tests show his genetic material on the women's cars, and mixed with Berry's blood, according to court papers.
Cold-case detectives with the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office have questioned Giles about Berry and Brazzel. He's denied involvement.
Investigators were at Friday's hearing. Giles' attorney Erick Spencer told the court that legal paperwork has now been filed making clear that Giles is unwilling to talk with detectives about any investigation.
"We just feel the need to make that known at this time and this place," Spencer said.
King County prosecutors, working in concert with their counterparts in Snohomish County, filed the civil case after a psychologist diagnosed Giles with a number of mental disorders, including sexual sadism.
Among other things, court papers say, Giles has talked over the years about his fantasies of cutting people and watching them bleed to death. He's also expressed admiration for Green River serial killer Gary Ridgway.
In his report on Giles, the psychologist said he did not consider evidence related to the unsolved killings.
Brazzel was last seen May 26, 1995, leaving a south county pub. She was 22. Her car was found days later near her Lynnwood-area apartment. Brazzel has never been located.
Berry, 26, was reported missing July 31, 1995, after she failed to return from work at Honey's, a former nude nightclub in south Everett. Her body was found about a week later in a wooded area behind the Everett Mall. She had died of multiple stab wounds.
Court records indicate that Giles was wanted on an arrest warrant during the time Brazzel went missing and Berry was killed.
Scott North: 425-339-3431;
Story tags » PolicePrisonProsecutionSex CrimesHomicide

More Local News Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates