The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.

Published: Thursday, November 3, 2011, 6:19 p.m.

Man who allegedly attacked three lawyers is convicted of drug charge

Joshua Monson, required to represent himself after he alledgedly attacked his attorneys, is guilty of drug possession.

EVERETT -- A man accused of stabbing three of his attorneys and stuck representing himself at trial was convicted of drug possession Thursday.
Joshua Monson, 28, acted as his own lawyer after Snohomish County Superior Court Judge David Kurtz ruled that he'd forfeited his right to legal counsel by alleged repeated attacks on three attorneys assigned to him with pencils and a pen.
A standby defense attorney from King County sat through the hearings to answer Monson's legal questions.
For Thursday's verdict, Monson remained in a restraint chair and was circled by Snohomish County corrections officers.
Kurtz earlier this week ordered that the restraint chair was necessary after other restrictive measures, such as an electric stun cuff, failed to stop Monson from acting out in court.
Monson maintained that he'd been framed.
In his testimony, Monson denied possessing drugs. He said that before police arrived, his friends handed him a bag of rock salt. He alleged that police misidentified the substance as methamphetamine.
After the jury left the courtroom Thursday afternoon, Monson looked at Snohomish County deputy prosecutor Christo Sedgewick.
"Congratulations," Monson said with a smirk.
Monson wasn't allowed a pen or pencil to sign court documents.
He looked around the mostly empty courtroom as Snohomish County corrections officers wheeled him out.
His sentencing on the drug conviction is set for Dec. 5.
That won't be the end of his legal woes, however.
Monson also still faces a second-degree murder charge connected to the Jan. 2 shooting of Brian Jones, 30, who was killed while talking on a cellphone in a south Everett apartment.
Monson's mental state was called into question after he attacked his first attorney in May at the start of the initial drug possession trial. He was given a new lawyer. Within days, he allegedly attacked that man during a court hearing. On Tuesday, Monson allegedly grabbed his lawyer's pen and stabbed the man in the side of the head. None of the lawyers were seriously hurt.
Monson has been charged with two counts of fourth-degree assault for the attorney stabbings. He also is accused of assaulting two corrections officers.
State doctors have concluded that Monson is competent to stand trial.
Rikki King: 425-339-3449;
Story tags » EverettCrimeTrialsProsecutionDrug TraffickingAssault

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.


HeraldNet highlights

Hard-hitting girls
Hard-hitting girls: Bruises are badges of honor for Washington Wild hockey team
Modern salt traders
Modern salt traders: Everett shop stocks more flavors than Baskin-Robbins
To Russia and back
To Russia and back: Learn all about snow goose adventures at festival
No 'green rush'
No 'green rush': It's a tough market for budding marijuana businesses