A sergeant and patrol officer heard fire crews being dispatched to the two-story house in the 2000 block of McDougall Avenue around 1:50 a.m. Thursday, officials said.
"Our guys had to use an ax to break the door down," Everett police Sgt. Robert Goetz said. "They arrived pretty quickly, before fire (crews) because they were in the area."
The woman, whose age was not available, was in a bedroom, Everett fire marshal Rick Robinson said.
"They were in there long enough to feel the effects of smoke inhalation," Goetz said.
The officers were treated and released from Providence Regional Medical Center Everett. The woman did not go to the hospital and was getting some help from her neighbors.
The fire was confined to a bedroom but there was smoke damage to the entire home, Robinson said.
The cause of the fire was a cigarette dropped onto combustible materials, he said.
Damage to the home was estimated at $15,000.
Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446; firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Local News Headlines
Three weeks out, only four 911 texts have been valid County deputy director named president of state engineers association Accident victim has endured, thanks to his family, police officer Crews try to save man pulled from Stillaguamish River 4:03 p.m. State’s oldest full-time worker on the job at EdCC Lord Hill levee repairs to start July 29 Less than a week before election, only 9.1 percent of ballots returned Red Cross on the lookout for heroes
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.