The fire was reported about 7:45 p.m. the 13800 block of Silver Firs Drive, said Leslie Hynes, spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1.
A woman who was home walked into the living room to find her Christmas tree in flames, Hynes said.
Crews who arrived rescued four 3-week-old puppies from the house. One didn't make it, and the other three were hospitalized. Other pets were uninjured.
Investigators determined that the fire started when too many strings of Christmas lights were hooked together and overheated, Hynes said. Damage was estimated at $175,000.
More Local News Headlines
Warm waters bring more restrictions on salmon fishing in Tulalip Sound Transit succumbs to ‘cost of doing business’ Little is known about bull kelp, which nearly all marine life here relies on Stanwood-Camano fair expands activities for children No word yet on near-drowning victim in Stillaguamish River Paine Field passenger flights resound with Mukilteo voters Two seek to oust Noble from Edmonds School Board seat Front Porch: Camano Island Library grand opening
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.