Matthew Cox had been drinking vodka and coke with his roommate on Aug. 22 when he left his glass on the floor to go for a smoke.
He returned to find that his 6-month-old dog, Max, had swallowed the booze. But he left the animal at home, and prosecutor Maria Moore told Nottingham Magistrate's Court in central England that the puppy was later spotted staggering and falling over near Cox's home.
Police were called and took the dog to an emergency vet, where it was put on a drip to flush the alcohol out of its system.
Magistrate J. A. Smith on Wednesday called the incident "downright stupid."
The puppy has since been given a new home.
More Nation & World Headlines
Four Confederate flags left at MLK center, church in Atlanta 7:48 a.m. Cincy police officer pleads not guilty in fatal shooting 7:47 a.m. Cop indicted for murder in traffic-stop shooting Will ‘Happy Birthday’ song be free to use soon? Debris linked to missing Malaysian 777 Export-Import Bank excluded from highway bill 777 departs Aleutians after emergency landing House approves highway funding bill
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.