The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.


Published: Monday, January 16, 2012, 12:01 a.m.

Dog shocked, nearly killed by faulty Mountlake Terrace light pole

MOUNTLAKE TERRACE -- A man performed CPR on his dog about a week ago after the pooch was nearly killed by an electric shock after sniffing a city light pole.
The dog survived, but the city checked nearby poles to see if any others have the same issue. It's similar to a problem in 2010, when a dog was electrocuted in Seattle while walking on an electrically charged power plate in a sidewalk.
The incident here was disturbing and the city is treating it seriously, said Curt Brees, the city's Public Works director.
"We have no reason to believe there is a danger in the city," Brees said.
The man was walking his dog Jan. 6 in the 4700 block of 240th Street SW when the accident occurred, according to the police department. He called police, and crews from Public Works and the Snohomish County Public Utility District arrived to disconnect power to the aluminum light pole.
The shock was caused by a grounding wire feeding power to the pole.
"We're investigating how it came to be, but basically it was a wiring error," Brees said.
The pole was installed in 2004 by the PUD and is owned and operated by the city. Sometimes when different agencies play a role in installing and operating a light pole, errors occur, Brees said.
City officials are considering a testing program to catch such errors.
It's unclear if anyone worked on the pole after it was installed, which could have led to the error, said Neil Neroutsos, a PUD spokesman.
"We're focused on the issue and resolving it," he said.
The man's wife, contacted by phone, said neither she nor her husband wanted to talk about what happened to their dog.
The incident prompted city and PUD officials to test 16 light poles in the area. They didn't find hazards, Neurostos said.
PUD staff have inspected more than 1,000 steel and concrete poles in their service area within the past 18 months in search of unusual voltage.
"There were very few minor problems," Neroutsos said.
After the Seattle dog was electrocuted, Seattle City Light identified 158 light poles with potentially dangerous wiring problems, according to The Associated Press.
Story tags » Mountlake TerraceAccidents (general)PUD

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus

HeraldNet highlights

Looking for a friend?
Looking for a friend?: Animals up for adoption at the Everett shelter (8 new photos)
For a day or a lifetime
For a day or a lifetime: Bothell is a great place to visit at anytime
A chapel's story
A chapel's story: Memorial Community Church in Everett seeks new purpose
Get your fill of gas deals
Get your fill of gas deals: Prices are rising after steady declines, but they’ll still be ...
SnoCoSocial