The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Police find alleged robbers after car ditched -- literally

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
By Rikki King
Herald Writer
SNOHOMISH -- They weren't the most cunning of crooks.
On Wednesday morning, two men entered Vic's Market along Bowen Street in Snohomish.
They allegedly pointed a firearm at the clerk, grabbed money from the till and pocketed several packs of cigarettes, according to court papers. The men then sped off in a white car.
That's when things started going wrong for them.
Surveillance video from the store gave detectives a detailed description of the getaway car.
About an hour after the robbery, Monroe police spotted a car matching that description and ran its plate. They provided Snohomish detectives the name of the listed owner, according to a police affidavit.
The detectives checked a social media site for the car's owner and associated names. They reportedly found pictures on at least one of the profiles of what appeared to be the same car seen in the surveillance video.
The detectives headed to a Lake Stevens address associated with the vehicle.
In front of the house, detectives saw what looked like the getaway car, going nowhere, stuck in a snow-choked ditch.
As they waited for backup, people came out of the house and started "making arrangements" to remove the car from the ditch, court papers said.
Police detained several people at the scene. Information gathered there led them to identify two men believed to be involved in the robbery. One of them lived at the Lake Stevens house.
The man, 28, reportedly barricaded himself inside his home. A Special Weapons and Tactics team was summoned. The standoff lasted several hours, according to the affidavit. The man eventually surrendered.
Less than 24 hours after the holdup, both men were booked into Snohomish County Jail for investigation of first-degree robbery.
The 28-year-old, a convicted felon, also was booked for investigation of illegal possession of a firearm. According to court papers, he had a felony warrant for violating community custody in May. His criminal history stretches back to his mid-teens.
The other suspect, 33, of Everett, also had a warrant. It was issued earlier this month because he reportedly owes about $20,000 in child support for his three children.
Detectives wrote in their reports that at the time of arrest, both men were wearing shoes that appeared to be in the same styles and colors as the shoes worn by the robbers.
Rikki King: 425-339-3449;
Story tags » SnohomishCrimePoliceRobbery

More Local News Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates