Tacoma Home & Garden Show: Home improvement vendors, a vintage garden items, seminars and plant market. Show continues Jan. 26 through 29 at the Tacoma Dome. Tickets are $8 to $16, children under 16 are free. For information, hours or to download a $2 coupon go to www.otshows.com/ths/ or call 253-238-3807.
2012 Country Living Expo & Cattlemen's Winterschool: 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Jan. 28, Stanwood High School, 7400 272nd St. NW. Choose five classes from more than 150 sessions on various topics including backyard chickens, organic gardening and preserving food. Lunch and the all-day trade show with 60 vendors is $60 per person. See skagit.wsu.edu/CountryLivingExpo for a full schedule or call 360-428-4270, ext. 240.
The Northwest Flower & Garden Show: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Feb. 8 to 11 and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Feb. 12, Washington State Convention & Trade Center, 800 Convention Place, downtown Seattle; $16 through Feb. 6, $20 at the door. See large display gardens by local designers and landscapers, plus celebrity speakers, educational seminars, floral displays, retail booths and activities for kids. This year's theme is “A Floral Symphony.” See www.gardenshow.com or call 253-756-2121 or 800-343-6973.
Sustainable gardening lecture series: 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. every other Friday through April 13, Mukilteo Presbyterian Church, 4515 84th St. SW, Mukilteo. Tickets to the full eight-lecture series are $85 in advance. A limited number of single-lecture tickets may be available for $20 at the door. See www.gardenlectures.com to buy tickets and see the speaker schedule and biographies. Call 425-357-6010. To buy tickets by mail, send a check made out to SCMGF for $85 per ticket to SCMGF, P.O. Box 3126, Arlington, WA, 98223. Include an email address for a confirmation receipt. For a paper confirmation, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
• Feb. 3: “An Annual Calendar of Predictable Garden Problems” with Don Tapio, county extension agent, author and garden talk-show host.
Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens 2012 lectures: Noon to 1 p.m. select Saturdays, at the arboretum, 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett, either in the indoor classroom or, when appropriate, outside on the arboretum grounds. All the classes are free except for the $30 Mother's Day basket class on May 12. Seating is limited. Call 425-257-8597 for reservations. See www.evergreenarboretum.com. for more about the arboretum.
• Feb. 18: “Sustainable Gardening” with master gardener Martha Clatterbaugh.
Beekeeping courses: 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Mondays Feb. 27 to March 26, WSU Snohomish County Extension, 600 128th St. SE, Everett; snohomish.wsu.edu; $70. Register with a credit card at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/179866 or www.brownpapertickets.com/event/179873. To register by mail, fill out the form at snohomish.wsu.edu/calendar.htm and send with a check, or contact Karie Christensen 425-357-6039 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
These local nurseries feature gardening classes, guest speakers and special events throughout the year, often for no charge. Check their websites or call for details.
• Christianson's Nursery and Greenhouse: 15806 Best Road, Mount Vernon; 360-466-3821; www.christiansonsnursery.com.
• McAuliffe's Valley Nursery: 11910 Springhetti Road, Snohomish; 360-862-1323; www.mcauliffesvalleynursery.com.
• Molbak's Garden & Home: 13625 NE 175th St., Woodinville; 425-483-5000; www.molbaks.com.
• My Garden: 17414 Bothell-Everett Highway, Mill Creek; 425-402-1842; www.mygardennursery.com.
• Pine Creek Nursery: 23225 Sofie Road, Monroe; 360-863-8866; pinecreeknursery.com
• Sky Nursery: 18528 Aurora Ave. N., Shoreline; 206-546-4851; www.skynursery.com.
• Sunnyside Nursery: 3915 Sunnyside Blvd., Marysville; 425-334-2002; www.sunnysidenursery.net.
• The Plant Farm at Smokey Point: 15022 Twin Lakes Ave., Marysville; 360-652-3351; www.theplantfarm.com.
• Wight's Home & Garden: 5026 196th St. SW, Lynnwood; 425-775-3636; www.wights.com.
Snohomish Conservation District plant sale: 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. March 2 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 3 at the Evergreen State Fairgrounds, 14405 179th Ave. SE, Monroe. Preorders will be accepted through Feb. 8. Payments are due by Feb. 22. Find order forms, plant guides and a sale brochure at www.snohomishcd.org/plant-sale. Call 425-335-5634, ext. 108 for more information.
Got a gardening question? Consult a local master gardener. Call the master gardener hot line from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. October through March at 425-357-6010 or visit the WSU Snohomish County Extension offices during the same hours at 600 128th St. SE, Everett.
More Home and Garden Headlines
Plant of Merit: Echinacea “Cheyenne Spirit” Weathervanes were about more than just which way the wind was blowing Ikea 2016: Sunny with a chance of meatballs The future kitchen in an age of scarcity Home & Garden calendar Ideas to organize your pantry cabinet Garden clubs It's time to start thinking about fall veggies
Our to-do list full of ideas for your weekend
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.