And the Washington Interscholastic Athletics Association took notice.
Cuzzetto, who came back in Saturday's 106-pound final to beat Graham Kapowsin's Spencer Schroeder and win his first state championship, was named the WIAA State Athlete of the Week.
"It feels great!" Cuzzetto wrote in a Twitter message to The Herald Wednesday morning. "I never thought I would be the state athlete of the week. Everything this week is just coming together perfect."
Four weeks ago Cuzzetto had an X-ray on his foot that revealed a broken foot, presumably ending his season. But several days of rest and a second opinion revealed that a growth plate in the sophomore's foot came out of place, but naturally fell back to where it was supposed to be, allowing him to wrestle -- and win -- at state.
Most recent Prep Zone posts
- All-State cross country race set for July 11 July 3
- Snohomish and Archbishop Murphy highlight All-State boys soccer teams July 3
- First-annual Snohomish Summer Smash tennis tournament starts July 24 July 3
- Glacier Peak's Pettit takes over Twitter from East-West football game June 30
- Dmochowsky, Oxnevad, Davenport among several local players on WSBCA all-state baseball team June 22
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.