Shen Yun Contest

Enter to win two tickets to see Shen Yun April 3-5, 2015, at McCaw Hall

Fill out my online form.

*No purchase necessary to enter to win. Winner will be selected by a random drawing and will be notified by phone or email.

The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.


Published: Monday, April 16, 2012, 9:51 p.m.

Man rescued from balcony during apartment fire

  • Firefighters set up a ladder to rescue a man trapped on the balcony of a third-floor apartment at Taluswood Apartments in Mountlake Terrace on Monday ...

    Officer Brian Osborn / Mountlake Terrace Police

    Firefighters set up a ladder to rescue a man trapped on the balcony of a third-floor apartment at Taluswood Apartments in Mountlake Terrace on Monday morning. The man made it safely down the ladder.

MOUNTLAKE TERRACE -- A Mountlake Terrace man was rescued Monday morning from the third-story balcony of his home in the 4100 block of 236th Street SW and Cedar Way.
Firefighters reached him using a ladder as flames from a neighboring apartment drew near, Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.
The man, whose age was not available, climbed down the ladder on his own and was not injured.
Fire, smoke and water damaged 12 units, Hynes said.
The blaze was started by burning incense touching something that caught fire.
"It was accidental," Hynes said.
The Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross was working with residents of the Taluswood Apartments to help them find temporary housing. The number of displaced residents was not immediately available. Residents of all but two of the 12 apartments had renters insurance.
The first fire calls came in around 7:30 a.m.
By the time firefighters arrived, flames could be seen coming out of the man's third-floor apartment.
More than 35 firefighters battled the blaze. Lynnwood and Shoreline firefighters joined District 1 in getting the fire under control.
One tenant was examined by medics for smoke inhalation but didn't need to go to the hospital, Hynes said.
Firefighters also rescued a large dog from one of the apartments.
"It took about 40 minutes to bring the Mountlake Terrace fire under control," Hynes said.
No damage estimate was immediately available.
Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446, stevick@heraldnet.com
Story tags » Mountlake TerraceFire

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

loading...
HeraldNet Classifieds