Check This Out: "Cage Match: Dollar Coin vs. Dollar Bill"
Episode 364: "Cage Match: Coin vs. Bill"
Recommended by: Kurt Batdorf, Community Business Editor, The Herald
The pitch: Legislation in Congress would get rid of dollar bills and replace them with coins. Proponents say coins are easier to use and save the country money in the long run. The bill people say none of this is true.
Should we kill the dollar bill?
On today's show, the Planet Money staff goes deep into the nature of money itself, and they find a clear answer to this question.
They haul in a giant box of coins, talk to the guy who actually makes the paper for dollar bills and watch a senator try to use a vending machine.
See Planet Money's story, Should We Kill The Dollar Bill?. Read the GAO report on replacing the dollar bill with dollar coins, and see the update to the report. And see the report Canada wrote before it got rid of its $1 bill.
MORE HBJ HEADLINES
- After years of low bills, water customers will pay more
- VW cheating prompts EPA to road-test all diesels
- Porsche buys 1.5 percent of VW ordinary shares from Suzuki
- Putin faces growing exodus as Russia’s banking, tech pros flee
- New record set for number of hogs on farms
- Apple’s new iPhones hit store shelves
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.