Census snapshot: Mill Creek
Mill Creek was originally a planned community surrounding a golf course and country club, with development beginning in the mid-1970s in what was then unincorporated Snohomish County.
Within a few years, as more and more people moved in, residents felt the need to establish an identity apart from the nearby suburbs of Bothell and Lynnwood and have local control over services such as police. The city was incorporated in 1983.
There have been 14 annexations since. Between the 2000 and 2010 censuses, the population grew by 58 percent.
While there were a number of creeks in the area, there was no actual Mill Creek until 2000, when the city won approval from the state Board on Geographic Names to designate what was unofficially known as Smokehouse Creek to Mill Creek.
Mill Creek population vs. Snohomish County and Washington
|Population change, 2000 to 2010||58.3%||17.7%||14.1%|
|Persons under 5 years||5.7%||6.6%||6.5%|
|Persons under 18 years||23.3%||24.4%||23.5%|
|Persons 65 years and over||12.5%||10.3%||12.3%|
|American Indian and Alaska Native persons||0.5%||1.4%||1.5%|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islanders||0.4%||0.4%||0.6%|
|Persons reporting two or more races||4.4%||4.6%||4.7%|
|Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin||5.6%||9.0%||11.2%|
|White persons not Hispanic||70.8%||74.3%||72.5%|
More about the city of Mill Creek
• At Wikipedia.org: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_Creek,_Washington
• At the U.S. Census Bureau website: quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/53/5345865.html
• City of Mill Creek official website: www.cityofmillcreek.com
- Many don't get child support, census reports 11/21/13
- Young adult mobility falls to 50-year low 11/15/13
- 49.7 million in U.S. live in poverty 11/7/13
- Are U.S. birth rates bouncing back? 9/6/13
- Census: More Americans are living alone 8/29/13
- U.S. Asians living in thriving enclaves 6/27/13
- White deaths in U.S. outnumber births for first time 6/13/13
Most recent Need to Know posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.