You'll meet Rick Colombo, a retired Navy veteran who is carrying a full load of park management classes at Skagit Valley College. When he's not in the classroom, he might be fishing from a canoe, scuba diving or volunteering at Deception Pass State Park. He has a passion for nature.
So does Andy Boos. Everett's own Alpine Andy is an independent contractor with the Everett Parks and Rec department. His walks, hikes and other outdoor expeditions are so popular that they often fill up within an hour.
Besides sharing his love of nature with all ages, he also works on his goal to bag the 100 tallest peaks in Washington state. He has eight to go.
Jan Steves -- yes, she's Rick Steves' sister -- combines her passion for the outdoors with her love of dogs. The musher just completed the legendary 1,110-mile Iditarod race in Alaska.
You can also read Clyde Jelinek's story. Clyde is part of a medical trial at Providence Hospital for a vaccine that might help ward off a recurrence of lung cancer. Hear what he has to say about his illness -- and about hope.
Dive in. Find out what your friends and neighbors do to keep life satisfying and interesting.
• Adventures with Andy: Get to know the woods with popular local hiking guide.
• Go for lunch, stay for fun: Lake Stevens Senior Center has a lot to offer.
• Grueling journey: Edmonds native Jan Steves conquers the Iditarod.
• ‘I've held an octopus': For retired veteran, natural wonders never get old.
• A shot of optimism: Experimental treatment gives a cancer patient hope.
• Convenient care: Naturopathic clinic opens at the Edmonds Senior Center.
More Life Headlines
Degrading term a matter of semantics Today in history Celine Dion, Lady Gaga added to Sinatra tribute concert Celebrate annual Indian festival with easy sweet treats It’s tabbouleh, but with earthy seasonal roots Rolling Stones will tour South America in 2016 Today in history Teen fashionistas on ‘Project Runway Junior’ make it work
Our to-do list full of ideas for your weekend
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.