The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.


Published: Wednesday, May 2, 2012, 8:24 p.m.

Snohomish child rapist may never see freedom

The Snohomish man admits to multiple charges of child rape and sexual exploitation of seven children, ages 3 to 16.

  • Enrique Sanchez-Leon of Snohomish pleaded guilty to child rape, child molestation sexual exploitation of a minor and possessing child pornography in S...

    Michael O'Leary / The Herald

    Enrique Sanchez-Leon of Snohomish pleaded guilty to child rape, child molestation sexual exploitation of a minor and possessing child pornography in Snohomish County Superior Court Wednesday. The criminal counts involved seven victims. Sentencing was set for June 19.

  • Enrique Sanchez-Leon

    Michael O'Leary / The Herald

    Enrique Sanchez-Leon

EVERETT -- A Snohomish man on Wednesday admitted that he sexually assaulted and exploited children, the youngest who was 3 years old.
Enrique Sanchez-Leon, 39, pleaded guilty in Snohomish County Superior Court to three counts of child rape, two counts of child molestation, two counts of sexual exploitation of a minor and possessing child pornography.
Detectives say the sex abuse case is one of the worst they have encountered. If he receives the expected lengthy sentence, there is a good chance Sanchez-Leon will never again see freedom.
Prosecutors said Sanchez-Leon cataloged his crimes, creating tens of thousands of disturbing images of him sexually assaulting and exploiting children, including two young sisters who broke their silence late last year.
Investigators identified seven victims, ranging from 3 to 16 years old. Some told detectives they were assaulted. Others reported that the defendant took sexually explicit photographs of them, plying them with gifts or offering them money.
Sanchez-Leon signed a plea agreement that calls for a minimum 35-year prison term. That punishment would go beyond the standard sentencing range set by state law.
Sanchez-Leon could be in custody even longer. Once he's served the minimum sentence, he will have to convince the state's Indeterminate Sentence Review Board that he's ready for freedom before he would be released. He also could be deported after his sentence is served.
"It's effectively a life sentence should the court follow the recommendations of the parties," Snohomish County deputy prosecutor Adam Cornell said.
"We spent a great deal of time consulting with the victims' families and, when appropriate, the victims themselves," Cornell said. "They support the resolution of the case."
Sentencing was set for June 19.
A co-defendant, Sultan resident Caitlin Ferry, 23, has been charged with child molestation and sexually exploiting a child.

Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446; stevick@heraldnet.com.
Story tags » SnohomishPoliceSex Crimes

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

loading...
HeraldNet Classifieds