About 100 pilots for the airline called in sick to work Monday, a strategy meant to pressure Air India to allow them fly Boeing 787s.
The Air India pilots don't want their counterparts for the former Indian Airlines to be trained to fly the Dreamliner. Air India and Indian Airlines merged in 2007 but the integration of employees hasn't gone well.
Air India has responded to the protesting pilots by firing 10. The airline also refused to recognize the pilots' labor union after the protest.
Boeing is expected to deliver this month the first of 27 Dreamliners that Air India has on order.
Most recent Aerospace blog posts
- British Airways’ Boeing 777 engulfed in fire in Las Vegas was in accident 11 years ago Sep. 8
- Cancellations leave Boeing with zero 747 orders in 2015 Sep. 3
- Korean Air takes possession of 747-8s Aug. 25
- Boeing sees booming Chinese demand for new planes Aug. 25
- Esterline streamlines corporate management Aug. 19
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.