Home and Garden calendar
Let's Garden: St. John's Episcopal Church in Snohomish is hosting master gardener Pam Shoberg for its final free gardening workshop of the season from 10 a.m. to noon May19. Shoberg will discuss warming weather and fall crops. She will also have samples and recipes using homegrown food. The church is at 913 Second Ave., Snohomish. Register by emailing Kati Anderson at StJohnsGarden@comcast.net or calling 360-691 9673.
Home design and organization: Designer Kelly DuByne of Distinctive Interior Designs and Monika Kristofferson from Efficient Organization offer classes in home decor and organization Register at Marysville Parks & Recreation website, www.marysvillewa.gov, call 360-363-8400. Lake Stevens School District classes at Educational Service Center 12309 22nd St. NE, Lake Stevens. Register 425-335-1500; www.lkstevens.wednet.edu.
• June 5: Design and Organize Your Kitchen for Beauty and Efficiency, 6 to 8 p.m. $30, Lake Stevens.
• May 5: Declutter, Design, Desserts & Donate (For a Cause), a free class from 10 a.m. to noon. Call 425-238-3678 for more information. Lake Stevens Boys & Girls Club, 1609 E. Lakeshore Drive, Lake Stevens.
Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens 2012 lectures: Noon to 1 p.m. select Saturdays, at the arboretum, 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett, either in the indoor classroom or, when appropriate, outside on the arboretum grounds. All classes are free. Seating is limited. Call 425-257-8597 for reservations. See www.evergreen arboretum.com. for more about the arboretum.
• May 19: “Gardening Using Native Plants” with master gardener Susan Egan.
• June 23: “Summer Pruning of Japanese Maples” with Charlie Morgan, owner of Amazing Maples of Mukilteo.
• July 21: “Garden Photography” with John Lindstrom, retired Everett Community College photography instructor.
• Aug. 18: “Yoga for Gardeners” with Beverly Anderson, Everett Community College yoga instructor. Bring your own mat, rug or blanket.
• Sept. 15: “Fall and Winter Containers” with arboretum volunteer Dee Drake.
• Oct. 20: “Putting Your Garden to Bed” with master gardener Frankie Dennison.
• Nov. 10: “Holiday Centerpieces from Your Backyard” with Bob Adrian, owner of Flowers by Adrian of Everett.
• Dec. 8: “Winter Blooming Plants” with Trevor Cameron of Sunnyside Nursery, Marysville.
These local nurseries feature gardening classes, guest speakers and special events throughout the year, often for no charge. Check their websites or call for details.
Christianson's Nursery and Greenhouse: 15806 Best Road, Mount Vernon; 360-466-3821; www.christiansonsnursery.com.
McAuliffe's Valley Nursery: 11910 Springhetti Road, Snohomish; 360-862-1323; www.mcauliffesvalleynursery.com.
Molbak's Garden & Home: 13625 NE 175th St., Woodinville; 425-483-5000; www.molbaks.com.
My Garden: 17414 Bothell-Everett Highway, Mill Creek; 425-402-1842; www.mygarden nursery.com.
Pine Creek Nursery: 23225 Sofie Road, Monroe; 360-863-8866; pinecreeknursery.com.
Sky Nursery: 18528 Aurora Ave. N., Shoreline; 206-546-4851; www.skynursery.com.
Sunnyside Nursery: 3915 Sunnyside Blvd., Marysville; 425-334-2002; www.sunnysidenursery.net.
The Plant Farm at Smokey Point: 15022 Twin Lakes Ave., Marysville; 360-652-3351; www.theplantfarm.com.
Wight's Home & Garden: 5026 196th St. SW, Lynnwood; 425-775-3636; www.wights.com.
Got a gardening question? Consult a local master gardener at a public plant clinic. If you have a plant with a problem or disease, bring in a fresh plant sample that, if possible, includes the diseased area, a transition area and a healthy area. Photos are also helpful. You can call the master gardener hot line at 425-357-6010 or visit the WSU Snohomish County Extension offices at 600 128th St. SE, Everett.
To submit an item for the Home & Garden calendar, e-mail email@example.com.
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.