The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Short-handed SeaWolves drop third straight game

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
Herald news services
EDMONDS -- For the second straight game, the North Sound SeaWolves had a player sent off with a red card, forcing the soccer club to play a man down. The Kitsap Pumas took full advantage, winning the Premier Development League match 3-0 Sunday at Edmonds Stadium.
The loss was the third in a row for the SeaWolves, who fell to 1-3. Kitsap, the defending PDL champion, improved to 5-2.
SeaWolves midfielder Gene Tibbetts was ejected in the 34th minute for an altercation with Kitsap's Danny Medina, who was issued a yellow card. That left North Sound playing a man short for the final 56 minutes and the team clearly wore down as the game went along.
"It was very disappointing," SeaWolves coach Alex Silva said. "Even if the other team is doing something to you, you can't react. You have to control yourself and keep playing. It made it tough on us."
The SeaWolves already were down three starters when they lost Tibbetts. Leading scorer Abdul Aman sat out the game after receiving a red card in Friday's loss to the Washington Crossfire. Mark Conrad was involved in a minor car accident before the match, and Quinton Beasley was out for personal reasons.
"It was a tough situation already facing the best team in the league without three starters," Silva said. "And then to lose a man, it really made things difficult. I thought we played hard, but we ran out of energy."
The SeaWolves were able to keep the game scoreless through halftime but just two minutes into the second half, Daniel MacLeod sent a clean cross from the right side in front of the goal box that Ben Truax converted into the net for a 1-0 lead.
Two minutes later, Greg Miley found himself in front of a loose ball in the box after a long throw-in and knocked it in for a two-goal lead. Kitsap made it 3-0 in the 58th minute when Miley found himself wide open on the left side and beat North Sound keeper Claudio Lazar one-on-one.
"We're having a hard time dealing with crosses into the box," Silva said. "I think every player is waiting for someone else to cover it. So when the other team gets outside and then sends it in, we're getting beat.
"We're doing some good things, but we need to keep a full team on the field and we need to mark better in the back. I think if we have our full team here, we're going to be in good shape."
Story tags » Community SportsSoccerCommunity Soccer

More Sports Headlines


Sports headlines

Top sports stories delivered daily