The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Marysville man beaten in Port Angeles dies in hospital

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
By Chris Tucker
Peninsula Daily News
PORT ANGELES -- When Donald G. Knechtel tried to break up a fight, his attempt at peace-making cost him his life.
According to a Port Angeles police report, witnesses observed Casey J. Balch, 21, of Sequim take off his shirt and attempt to start a fight with Knechtel's co-worker, Clint A. Crook, outside the Front Street Alibi bar June 1.
"When Knechtel attempted to push Crook and Balch apart, Balch turned his attention to him," cursing and then throwing a punch "which hit him in the face," a police report said.
The force of the blow knocked Knechtel to the ground.
His head slammed on the asphalt, knocking him unconscious.
According to police, Knechtel, 48, of Marysville was taken to Olympic Medical Center, where medical personnel found he had a cranial fracture, brain swelling and hemorrhaging.
Knechtel was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where a surgeon declared Knechtel brain dead with unsurvivable injuries.
Clallam County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney John Trober was not surprised the injuries led to Knechtel's death.
"He was very seriously injured, and there was a very likely possibility he would pass away," Troberg said.
Troberg said Tuesday he expects to decide whether to file new charges against Balch "certainly by Friday."
He said he is awaiting further information from a Port Angeles Police Department investigation into the case.
Balch pleaded not guilty Friday to first- and second-degree assault charges at his arraignment in Clallam County Superior Court.
He was released on $50,000 bond, but he must wear a bracelet that is equipped with a locating device and detects the presence of alcohol, Troberg said.
A status hearing was set for this Tuesday at 1 p.m.
Clallam County Superior Court Judge George L. Wood on Friday scheduled a three-day trial on the assault charge to begin Oct. 1.
That trial could be postponed if there are additional charges sought against Balch.
Peninsula Daily News reporter Chris Tucker can be reached at 360-452-2345 ext. 5074 or at Peninsula Daily News writer Paul Gottlieb contributed to this report.
Story tags » Marysville

More Local News Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates


Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus