Snohomish County Career Fair - September 10
The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Cause of Mill Creek fire traced to oily towels

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
Herald staff
MILL CREEK -- Investigators believe hot, oily dish towels sparked the fire that displaced 10 people from a Martha Lake-area apartment complex Sunday.
No one was seriously injured in the fire that broke out about 10:30 a.m. at the Millwood Estates Apartments, west of Mill Creek.
It caused more than $200,000 in damage.
People who lived in the apartment where the fire started have a food-vending business, said Leslie Hynes, spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1.
They apparently had washed several dish towels that had been soiled with cooking oil, Hynes said. They placed the laundered towels on a bed, where investigators believe they later ignited.
Similar fires have started with rags soaked with oils used to treat or stain wood, Hynes said. The heat from a clothes dryer can contribute to oily towels igniting in the appliance or after they're removed.
Story tags » Mill CreekFirefightingFire

More Local News Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates


Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus