This weekend-long celebration of locally grown food begins Saturday and offers families the chance to pick fresh berries, feed some farm goats and take a wagon ride, all while absorbing the county's rich agricultural past and its modern-day importance.
The Red Rooster Route Days are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
This is a self-guided tour of four farms and visitors can also go to the Stillaguamish Valley Pioneer Museum and the Arlington Farmers Market.
Each destination offers something special.
• Garden Treasures Nursery & Organic Farm Treasures: 3328 Highway 530, Arlington. The farm will host a Readers to Eaters Local Food Book Faire on Saturday and bouquet-making lessons on Sunday.
• Foster's Produce & Corn Maze: 5818 Highway 530 NE, Arlington. Locally grown berries and cherries, an animal farm and hay maze; berry or mocha shakes are available for purchase.
• Biringer Farm: 21412 59th Ave. NE, Arlington. A jolly trolley ride to the raspberry fields for U-pick and the farm sells raspberry shortcake with mile-high whipped cream.
• Bryant Blueberry Farm & Nursery: 5628 Grandview Road, Arlington. Families can pick berries, romp on the playground and feed the farm's goats and ducks; wagon rides offered from noon to 3 p.m.
• The Stillaguamish Valley Pioneer Museum: 20722 67th Ave. NE, Arlington. Guided tours from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. where you can explore the exhibits and learn about area history.
• Arlington Farmers Market: Legion Park, 200 N. Olympic Ave., Arlington. Open only on Saturday but offering fresh local produce and handcrafts, flowers; local music and kid's activities.
The Red Rooster Route is a nonprofit association of small, family-friendly farms in the Arlington area. For more information on the route or to download a map go to www.redroosterroute.com.
Free admission to all farms on the Red Rooster Route though some farms may charge for certain activities. The Stillaguamish Valley Pioneer Museum fee is $5 for adults and $2 for children 12 and under.
You can get your map stamped along the way and turn it in at your last stop to be entered in a drawing. Prizes include dinner for two at The Cellar Restaurant or a two-person river raft adventure with North Cascade River Expeditions. Winners will be contacted by phone or email by July 28.
Theresa Goffredo: 425-339-3424; email@example.com.
More Entertainment Headlines
Monday’s highlights on TV ‘The League’ tackles deflated footballs, Marshawn Lynch An interview with Jason Segel, who plays enigmatic author David Foster Wallace in the new film, ‘The End of the Tour’ ‘I Am Chris Farley’ focuses more on comic’s life than death Capsule reviews of the next week’s video releases, on DVD and Blu-ray This week’s best-sellers from Publishers Weekly Darrington's Meltdown a melting pot of bluegrass, rock and more Weekend fun: Summer Meltdown, fair, Mutt Strutt, sheepdog trials
Our to-do list full of ideas for your weekend
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.