Learn about local farms on the Red Rooster Route
This weekend-long celebration of locally grown food begins Saturday and offers families the chance to pick fresh berries, feed some farm goats and take a wagon ride, all while absorbing the county's rich agricultural past and its modern-day importance.
The Red Rooster Route Days are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
This is a self-guided tour of four farms and visitors can also go to the Stillaguamish Valley Pioneer Museum and the Arlington Farmers Market.
Each destination offers something special.
• Garden Treasures Nursery & Organic Farm Treasures: 3328 Highway 530, Arlington. The farm will host a Readers to Eaters Local Food Book Faire on Saturday and bouquet-making lessons on Sunday.
• Foster's Produce & Corn Maze: 5818 Highway 530 NE, Arlington. Locally grown berries and cherries, an animal farm and hay maze; berry or mocha shakes are available for purchase.
• Biringer Farm: 21412 59th Ave. NE, Arlington. A jolly trolley ride to the raspberry fields for U-pick and the farm sells raspberry shortcake with mile-high whipped cream.
• Bryant Blueberry Farm & Nursery: 5628 Grandview Road, Arlington. Families can pick berries, romp on the playground and feed the farm's goats and ducks; wagon rides offered from noon to 3 p.m.
• The Stillaguamish Valley Pioneer Museum: 20722 67th Ave. NE, Arlington. Guided tours from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. where you can explore the exhibits and learn about area history.
• Arlington Farmers Market: Legion Park, 200 N. Olympic Ave., Arlington. Open only on Saturday but offering fresh local produce and handcrafts, flowers; local music and kid's activities.
The Red Rooster Route is a nonprofit association of small, family-friendly farms in the Arlington area. For more information on the route or to download a map go to www.redroosterroute.com.
Free admission to all farms on the Red Rooster Route though some farms may charge for certain activities. The Stillaguamish Valley Pioneer Museum fee is $5 for adults and $2 for children 12 and under.
You can get your map stamped along the way and turn it in at your last stop to be entered in a drawing. Prizes include dinner for two at The Cellar Restaurant or a two-person river raft adventure with North Cascade River Expeditions. Winners will be contacted by phone or email by July 28.
Theresa Goffredo: 425-339-3424; email@example.com.
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.