Sounders trade Alvaro Fernandez, likely opening the door for Christian Tiffert signing
So while the Tiffert signing is not yet official, this trade is a sign that it is coming soon.
Fernandez was at practice today, but Sounders FC coach Sigi Schmid would not comment when asked if all of Seattle's designated players--Fredy Montero, Mauro Rosales and Fernandez--would make the trip to Colorado for Saturday's game. Asked if there was a way Seattle could adjust one of those player's contracts to remove the DP label, allowing the team to add Tiffert without a transaction, Schmid said, "We have looked into that but it doesn't look like that's going to be feasible."
Fernandez, 26, joined Sounders FC midway through the 2010 season after representing Uruguay in the 2010 World Cup, and in two-plus seasons he has 13 goals and three assists in 55 games. His nine goals in 2011 were the second most on the team.
"We would like to thank Alvaro for his contributions to the club over the last two years and wish him well in the next chapter of his career with the Fire," Sounders general manager Adrian Hanauer said in a press release.
More soon if/when the Tiffert announcement comes.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Quotes from Pete Carroll's Monday Super Bowl week press conference Jan. 26
- Pete Carroll and Seahawks players stick up for their silent (and occasionally crotch-grabbing) running back Jan. 26
- Seahawks players not bothered by Brandon Browner's "try to break it" comment Jan. 26
- Brandon Browner says Patriots should go after Sherman and Thomas injuries Jan. 26
- Quotes from Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, Russell Wilson, Earl Thomas, Russell Okung and Jermaine Kearse Jan. 25
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.