Washington United for Marriage announced receipt of the "gift" in a press release this morning. The donation pushes the total amount raised by the political committee to $4.8 million.
“The extraordinary contribution from Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos will make an enormous difference for our campaign to defend Washington's marriage law,” WUM's campaign manager Zach Silk said in the release. “While it provides an amazing base for the work ahead, we hope it spurs others to invest because we're a long way from November and we face opponents with deep pockets who are committed to spending millions to defeat us.”
Opponents of Referendum 74 have raised a bit more than $253,000 to date.
The measure asks voters whether they want to approve or reject the law allowing same-sex couples to marry. If the referendum passes, the law will take effect once the final vote is certified.
Most recent The Petri Dish posts
- PDC won't act on GOP complaint against Inslee campaign July 23
- DelBene filling up coffers as Scott gears up campaign July 22
- Senate suspends I-1351, delays biology test requirement July 9
- Senate GOP, Democrats reach deal that could end session July 8
- Inslee signs 'forward thinking' budget, averts shut down July 1
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.