'Top Gun' director dies after jumping off bridge
The 68-year-old Scott's death was being investigated as a suicide, Los Angeles County Coroner's Lt. Joe Bale said.
Several people called 911 around 12:35 p.m. to report that someone had jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island in Los Angeles, according to Los Angeles police Lt. Tim Nordquist.
A dive team with Los Angeles Port Police pulled the body from the murky water several hours later, Nordquist said. Scott's body was taken to a dock in Wilmington and turned over to the county coroner's office.
One lane of the eastbound side of the bridge was closed to traffic during the investigation.
U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Osburn told the Daily Breeze that a suicide note was found inside Scott's black Toyota Prius, which was parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge.
The British-born Scott was producer and director Ridley Scott's brother.
The two brothers ran Scott Free Productions and were working jointly on a film called "Killing Lincoln," based on the best seller by Bill O'Reilly. Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" was a summer blockbuster.
"Top Gun," starring Tom Cruise, was one of the highest-grossing films of 1986. The pair worked together again four years later on the hit "Days of Thunder."
Scott frequently worked with Denzel Washington, most recently on the runaway train drama "Unstoppable." Scott and Washington collaborated on four other films: "Man on Fire," Deja Vu," and "The Taking of Pelham 123."
In a tweet Sunday, Director Ron Howard said, "No more Tony Scott movies. Tragic day."
Other Scott films include "True Romance," "Crimson Tide" and "Man on Fire."
Scott was married to actress Donna Scott. They have twin sons.
- Scientist considered father of birth control pill dies 2/1/15
- German WWII panzer ace dies at 92 1/31/15
- Poet, performer Rod McKuen dies at 81 1/31/15
- New Saudi king to continue predecessors' policies 1/22/15
- Tony Verna, inventor of TV instant replay, dies at 81 1/18/15
- Ekberg, movie bombshell, dies at 83 1/14/15
- Dorothy Thomas, “mother” of bone marrow transplant, dies at 92 1/10/15
- Drummer, vocalist ‘Popsy’ Dixon of The Holmes Brothers dies 1/10/15
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.