NHL labor talks canceled for the day
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly spent about two hours with players' association executive director Donald Fehr and his brother Steve Fehr, the union's No. 2 man.
"I think more than anything else it was to review where we are in the process, where we've come from, where we are with the various proposals and to determine how to move the process forward in the best way possible — hoping and understanding that both sides are committed to using the time left to making a deal as quickly as possible," Daly said.
The clock is ticking. The current agreement is set to expire Sept. 15, when the NHL says it will lock out the players if a new deal hasn't been reached.
Formal talks between the two sides were slated to resume Wednesday afternoon, but they have now been postponed until Thursday morning.
The private meeting between the four main principals was kept quiet as media gathered at the NHLPA head office in anticipation of the afternoon talks.
Daly said the two sides would discuss some key issues Thursday.
"I think system-related proposals and economical proposals are the most critical issues and probably the issues where we have the widest divergence of views currently," Daly said. "I'm all in favor of spending as much time as possible trying to bridge those gaps."
There is a significant gap between the two sides' proposals.
The union put forth an offer last week that includes a smaller percentage of revenues for players over the next three seasons in exchange for an expanded revenue-sharing program to help struggling teams. The NHLPA estimated that players would be giving up $465 million in salaries if the league continued on its pace of 7 percent growth each season.
The league's proposal called for a 24 percent decrease in player salaries — accomplished by lowering the union's share of revenue — while introducing new contract restrictions, including a five-year cap.
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.