The fire started about noon in a faulty light fixture at the school on 100th Street NE, Marysville Fire Marshal Tom Maloney said.
Everyone got out safely.
Four classrooms sustained heavy damage from the fire, Marysville School District spokeswoman Jodi Runyon said. It is not clear when those rooms will be able to be used again.
At least five other classrooms have smoke damage; three of them are kindergarten rooms.
All of the smoke-damaged rooms need to be cleaned, she said. They're expected to reopen in a couple of days.
Some areas of the roof likely will need repairs as well, Runyon said.
Students who had classes in the damaged rooms will have their lessons relocated to other spaces, Runyon said. Students will be kept in the same class during the transition.
The kindergarten rooms will be relocated to the Mountain View Presbyterian Church, across the street.
"We greatly appreciate their support to help us hold classes during these two cleaning days," Runyon said.
Students finished the school day Wednesday in other makeshift spaces.
Cascade Elementary has about 450 students enrolled. Early estimates were that about 100 would be displaced from their classrooms for a couple of days, and about 80 more for longer.
Crews put the fire out in about 10 minutes, Maloney said.
More than 28 firefighters responded from Marysville, Getchell and Arlington. The fire was ruled an accident.
Rikki King: 425-339-3449; firstname.lastname@example.org
More Local News Headlines
Warm waters bring more restrictions on salmon fishing in Tulalip Little is known about bull kelp, which nearly all marine life here relies on Sound Transit succumbs to ‘cost of doing business’ Stanwood-Camano fair expands activities for children Two seek to oust Noble from Edmonds School Board seat Paine Field passenger flights resound with Mukilteo voters Front Porch: Camano Island Library grand opening Crews try to save man pulled from Stillaguamish River
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.