The federal lawsuit says the FBI failed to timely respond to a 2011 request under the Freedom of Information Act.
Insane Clown Posse fans are known as Juggalos. Last year, the FBI included Juggalos in its national report on gangs.
The report doesn't mention a direct connection to Insane Clown Posse, but says many Juggalos have "gang-like behavior" and commit crimes and violence. The report includes a picture of a Juggalo wearing face paint and aiming a gun.
The group says its fans are a "family," not a gang.
Detroit FBI spokesman Simon Shaykhet declined comment Wednesday. The lawsuit was filed Tuesday in Flint.
Most recent Off the Wire posts
- Police wait as suspect returns to burglary scene for lost keys, cellphone Sep. 15
- Muppet personal ads found on Ashley Madison Aug. 21
- Mayor seeks ban on personal flamethrowers Aug. 19
- Idaho replaces mile marker 420 with 419.9 to thwart stoners Aug. 18
- Guinness: 26-year-old cat in Oregon is world’s oldest alive Aug. 18
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.