Nobody was injured.
A neighbor called 911 at 2:34 a.m. to report flames come from a single-story house in the 14800 block of 52nd Avenue W, fire district spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said. Two men and a woman heard a smoke alarm and escaped from the burning home.
About 20 firefighters from District 1 and Lynnwood responded to the home in unincorporated Snohomish County, Hynes said. When the first crews arrived, an apartment added to the front of the house was engulfed in flames. Firefighters were able to bring the blaze under control in less than half an hour.
Flames were contained to the apartment, where the Snohomish County Fire Marshal's Office concluded that a candle started the fire, she said. Smoke damaged the rest of the house. Total estimated damage was $50,000.
The homeowner has insurance and received help from the American Red Cross.
More Local News Headlines
‘Unprecedented’ wind storm: 24K in county still without power 12:32 p.m. Cost overruns, location, parking needs put courthouse on hold Clarence Robertson volunteered for 56 years as a reserve deputy 5-story building in Mill Creek would include affordable housing Island County undersheriff resigning to care for his children Front Porch: Light a candle for a loved one School winners Community calendar
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.