World Wife Carrying Champions Taisto Miettinen and Kristina Haapanen, from Helsinki, Finland, enter the water hazard just moments before second place finishers Jesse Wall and Christine Arsenault of South Paris during the finals of the 2012 North American Wife Carrying Championship on Saturday at Sunday River in Newry, Maine.
Taisto Miettinen and Kristina Haapanen traveled from Helsinki, Finland — where they won the World Wife Carrying Championship — for Saturday's contest. The Sun Journal (bit.ly/Q30QWq) reports that the couple finished with a time of 52.58 seconds on a course that includes hurdles, sand traps and a water hole.
The winners receive the woman's weight in beer and five times her weight in cash.
For Miettinen and Haapanen, that meant a check for $530. They shared their beer winnings with the second- and third- place finishers — Jesse Wall and Christine Arsenault of South Paris and David and Lacey Castro of Lewiston.
Information from: Sun-Journal, http://www.sunjournal.com
Most recent Off the Wire posts
- Weasel knocks out world’s largest atom smasher April 29
- Idaho official: Kobe Bryant’s remarks help save potato truck April 25
- With this rigatoni, I thee wed: The 1st Pastafarian wedding April 16
- Sleepwalking nun faces DUI charge April 14
- Marijuana grinder resembling grenade halts Bellingham airport flights April 12