The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions
John McCartney and Herald staff | jmccartney@heraldnet.com
Published: Thursday, October 11, 2012, 10:55 a.m.

Squirrel dinner may be to blame for apartment fire

  • Firefighters battle a blaze at the Clearview Apartment complex Wednesday in Holland, Mich. Fire Chief Jim Kohsel said a person using a propane torch i...

    AP

    Firefighters battle a blaze at the Clearview Apartment complex Wednesday in Holland, Mich. Fire Chief Jim Kohsel said a person using a propane torch in preparing to eat a squirrel may have sparked the fire.

HOLLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- Authorities say a blaze that displaced dozens of people from a southwest Michigan apartment complex may have been sparked by a resident trying to cook a squirrel with a propane torch.

Fire Chief Jim Kohsel tells MLive.com that the resident apparently planned to eat the animal and was burning off its fur on a third-floor deck at the building in Ottawa County's Holland Township when the fire broke out Wednesday. Flames spread to the roof. Kohsel says eight apartments are destroyed and others damaged.

The resident's name wasn't immediately released.

Kohsel says a firefighter broke a toe. No residents were injured.

Resident Tiffany Camburn told The Holland Sentinel that she and her neighbors had to evacuate their apartments.

The American Red Cross arranged temporary shelter and clothing for displaced residents.


Sign up for HeraldNet headlines Newsletter
See sample | Privacy policy

Most recent Off the Wire posts

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

» More local news