Fire crews arrived at the downtown hotel in the 1500 block of Wall Street shortly before 1 a.m. Thursday.
Firefighters found the smoldering remains of a fire in the commercial catering kitchen in the street-level portion of the building.
Everett fire inspector Eric Hicks discussed fire safety about two months ago with people living in the building.
"We talked about how the fire department works, what 911 does and how fire trucks and aid cars are dispatched," Hicks said. "We also talked about the building's structure, the sprinkler system, smoke alarms, fire extinguishers and what to do in case of a fire. "
As Hicks arrived Thursday morning, some residents immediately recognized him.
"They said 'Hello' and I asked them if they had remembered what to do from our meeting, and they said 'Yes,'" Hicks said.
Part of his job includes visits to residential facilities, day cares and schools to discuss fire prevention and safe exits.
People were leaving the building as crews used a hand extinguisher to put out the remaining flames.
Damage was estimated at $10,000 and there were no injuries.
More Local News Headlines
Warm waters bring more restrictions on salmon fishing in Tulalip Little is known about bull kelp, which nearly all marine life here relies on Sound Transit succumbs to ‘cost of doing business’ Stanwood-Camano fair expands activities for children Paine Field passenger flights resound with Mukilteo voters Two seek to oust Noble from Edmonds School Board seat Front Porch: Camano Island Library grand opening Crews try to save man pulled from Stillaguamish River
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.