Fire crews arrived at the downtown hotel in the 1500 block of Wall Street shortly before 1 a.m. Thursday.
Firefighters found the smoldering remains of a fire in the commercial catering kitchen in the street-level portion of the building.
Everett fire inspector Eric Hicks discussed fire safety about two months ago with people living in the building.
"We talked about how the fire department works, what 911 does and how fire trucks and aid cars are dispatched," Hicks said. "We also talked about the building's structure, the sprinkler system, smoke alarms, fire extinguishers and what to do in case of a fire. "
As Hicks arrived Thursday morning, some residents immediately recognized him.
"They said 'Hello' and I asked them if they had remembered what to do from our meeting, and they said 'Yes,'" Hicks said.
Part of his job includes visits to residential facilities, day cares and schools to discuss fire prevention and safe exits.
People were leaving the building as crews used a hand extinguisher to put out the remaining flames.
Damage was estimated at $10,000 and there were no injuries.
More Local News Headlines
Chinese President Xi lands at Paine Field to begin U.S. visit China leader’s smooth ride was a nightmare for the rest of us Trial of school shooter’s father focuses on protection order 6:34 p.m. Visually impaired meet in Everett to share, help each other Tim Eyman misused funds, state disclosure agency says 5 sought for tire-slashing spree in Arlington 5:59 p.m. Injured hiker, 17, flown to safety from Glacier Peak area Marysville motorcyclist killed in crash
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.