The Whittier Daily News reports Jose Melena was found Thursday shortly before 7 a.m. at the plant in Santa Fe Springs.
California Division of Occupational Safety and Health spokeswoman Erika Monterroza said it's unclear how the man ended up inside a cooking device called a "steamer machine."
The state department has launched an investigation into the accident.
Bumble Bee Foods spokesman Pat Menke expressed condolences to Melena's family and said operations at the canning facility will be suspended at the plant until Monday.
Most recent Off the Wire posts
- Pastafarian gets to wear strainer on head in license photo Nov. 13
- How do you smuggle Heineken into Saudi Arabia? Nov. 12
- Human poop could yield up to $9.5 billion Nov. 3
- Australia dumps titles knights and dames from honors awards Nov. 1
- Creepy Halloween doll in I-5 carpool lane doesn’t fool officer Oct. 28
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.