The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.

Published: Monday, October 15, 2012, 5:06 p.m.

Man arrested after pickup pelted with gunfire

EVERETT -- An Everett man was arrested for investigation of assault Saturday after allegedly firing 21 shots, hitting a pickup truck three times.
The pickup's driver, 58, was sprayed with glass shards after a bullet hit a window. He was not seriously hurt.
A judge in Everett District Court on Monday maintained bail at $50,000.
The pickup driver called 911 late Friday night to report that his vehicle had been hit by bullets, court papers said.
The suspect, 22, told police he believed the man in the pickup was armed. He alleged that the driver had pointed a handgun at people in a vehicle that had stopped near his home in the 7700 block of Timber Hill Drive.
He told an officer that he saw the man with a handgun from 100 yards away, court papers said.
The suspect, who claimed he's a former Los Angeles gang member, said he went into his home to grab a rifle and fired three or four warning shots.
He told police he started firing at the pickup when it started driving toward him. The truck didn't get within 50 yards and backed up to turn around, court papers said.
There was an apartment building directly behind where the suspect was shooting his rifle, police said.
Police found at least three bullet holes in the truck.
The pickup driver told police he began following a group of young men driving around the neighborhood because he suspected they may be committing crimes.
When the bullets began flying, the man said he had to bend down to avoid being hit, court papers said.
He denied being armed.
"There is no indication he had a weapon in any of the reports," Everett police officer Aaron Snell said Monday.
Everett police arrested the suspect for investigation of first-degree assault. They said he could have left the altercation by going inside his apartment. Police recovered 21 shell casings.
The rifle was found in the suspect's bedroom, court papers said.
Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446,
Story tags » EverettPoliceAssault

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.