About six months ago on my personal blog, Teaching My Baby to Read, I started noticing that a growing traffic source was this thing I had never heard of called “Pinterest.” So I clicked over and discovered that moms all over the country were pinning me. Whoa!
Their favorite post was one I had written about CVC Flip Books. These were little books I made out of construction paper for my daughter to learn to read consonant-vowel-consonant words like “cat” and “rat.” I don't know how many times my CVC post has been repinned, but that one page has now been viewed 5,364 times. I've gone viral!
So I decided to sign up for Pinterest, too.
I love gleaning ideas from other people on Pinterest to do with my kids at home. One project we have tried is the make-your-own-lava-lamp activity that has been floating around Pinterest for a while now. My kids and I made one at home this summer, and it was “totally groovy.”
Here are the instructions :
• Glass or plastic bottles with a lid (I used mason jars)
• Food coloring
• Cheap cooking oil
• Alka-Seltzer tablets
Fill your jar with about half oil and half water. Add 10 drops of food coloring, or maybe a little less. Then add a little bit of an Alka-Seltzer tablet. Don't add too much or your whole jar might explode. Close the lid and watch what happens.
Most recent I Brake for Moms posts
- Cutting the cord on the kids’ dine-out gaming Oct. 18
- Multiple generations have been inspired by 'Boys in the Boat' Oct. 11
- Adopting perfect pup can be a tough magic trick Oct. 4
- I have to resist the urge to rush my kids through childhood Sep. 27
- Getting a clean bill of potential poodle ownership Sep. 20
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.