Whatcom County Medical Examiner Gary Goldfogel said this week the cause of death for Hazel Christine Phair was alcohol poisoning.
The Whatcom Middle School student had returned from a party about 2 a.m. Sept. 29 and went to bed where she was found later that morning by her mother. Medics could not revive the girl.
A blood-alcohol level of 0.40 can be deadly even for adults. In Washington state, the legal limit for drivers is 0.08.
The Bellingham Herald reported that toxicology tests showed Phair also had marijuana in her system. Police are still investigating her death.
More Northwest Headlines
Crews encounter smoky conditions battling E. Wash. wildfires College students dive in to marine life at Rosario Beach Army appeals court reverses JBLM soldier’s rape conviction Rising temperatures and winds could cause massive wildfire to grow 'Cougar nation' remembers WSU President Elson Floyd Insurance companies sue over Seattle tunnel machine repair Seward Park swimming beach on Lake Washington closed after sewage spill Search for diver missing near Cape Flattery suspended
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.