Ecuador officials reject donkey as candidate
At least 40 people paraded their candidate through the city's streets to the electoral council offices. Mr. Burro even wore a tie. But officials refused to even let them in the door on Thursday, even though backers had dummied up a mock voter registration card showing the candidate's photo superimposed on a man wearing a business suit.
Donkey backer Daniel Molina told local television stations the goal was to call voters' attention to the seriousness of the February election, not to insult any party.
Most recent Off the Wire posts
- Amateur rocketeers cheer as porta-potty takes to sky Dec. 7
- Baby weighing nearly 14 pounds born in Colorado Dec. 5
- Explosive episode: WWII grenade was embedded in Austria firewood Dec. 1
- MIT engineers have high hopes for cheetah robot Nov. 30
- Snow bird? Lost hummer gets lift from Minnesota to Texas Nov. 24
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.