Niners' QB Smith won't play Monday night
Team medical director Dr. Dan Garza evaluated Smith, who was hurt eight days ago against St. Louis.
The 49ers will start second-year quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who replaced Smith in the 24-24 tie with the Rams last week.
Chicago also is without starting quarterback Jay Cutler because of a concussion. Jason Campbell will start.
Smith practiced on a limited basis during the week, but could not pass tests under the NFL's concussion treatment protocol to allow him back on the field against Chicago.
Smith has made 28 consecutive starts and led the 49ers to a 6-2-1 record this season. He was injured during the first half against the Rams and left the game midway through the second quarter.
Last season, his first under coach Jim Harbaugh, Smith led the 49ers to a 13-3 record and within an overtime loss to the Giants of a spot in the Super Bowl.
- Seahawks' Jeanpierre could start at center against Cardinals 11/20/14
- Seahawks' Wagner expects to play against Cardinals on Sunday 11/20/14
- Marshawn Lynch's odd week continues for Seahawks 11/20/14
- Vikings claim running back Tate off waivers from Browns 11/19/14
- Cardinals' Fitzgerald sits out practice, 'iffy' for Seahawks 11/19/14
- 49ers' Brooks: 'I did not quit on the team' 11/19/14
- Bills race clock to clear snow-filled stadium 11/19/14
- Seahawks' Lynch fined $100,000 for violating NFL's media policies 11/19/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.