Mechanical problem to delay USS Nimitz deployment
The Nimitz was scheduled to deploy in January to relieve the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, but that will be put off until summer in order to complete repairs to its propulsion system. The problem was found while the ship was doing pre-deployment maneuvers.
As a result, the Navy made the unusual decision to bring the Eisenhower home to Norfolk, Va., in December and resurface its flight deck so it can go back to the Gulf area in February and remain for four months. That means that in December and January the USS John C. Stennis will be the only carrier in that area, although there are other naval forces there, including Marines aboard a three-ship contingent led by the USS Peleliu.
In announcing the moves, the Navy said none are related to the conflict between Israel and the Hamas militants in Gaza — or any other security threats or contingency planning. They said it reflects wear and tear on the carrier fleet, which has been under enormous strain during more than 11 years of war.
The decision to leave a two-month gap in the normal two-carrier Navy presence was approved Tuesday by Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, officials said. The carriers are a key feature of the U.S. military strategy for the Mideast.
This will be the first such gap in the Gulf region since at least December 2010, the Navy said.
The Stennis, which deployed from its home port of Bremerton in late August, is due to head home in March. The current plan calls for it to be replaced then by the USS Harry S Truman.
- Gaza protester killed but truce holds 11/24/12
- Israel, Hamas begin cease-fire 11/22/12
- New fighter jet for Marines 11/20/12
- Nimitz, crew back home for holiday 11/19/12
- Navy may add up to 49 737-based P-8As to Whidbey 11/16/12
- Boeing defense arm shuns 737 Max to ensure Pentagon deliveries 11/16/12
- Joe Biden's son joins Navy Reserve 11/10/12
- Navy SEALs punished for aid to video game 11/9/12
- Ex-worker pleads guilty to setting nuke sub fire 11/8/12
- Navy commander fired in adultery probe 1/21/15
- Local Navy personnel will fly over stadium before Seahawks game 1/16/15
- Objects detected in AirAsia search 1/2/15
- Canada to curb booze on warships 12/13/14
- Naval Academy nonprofits accused of ethical lapses 12/11/14
- Engineer accused of leaking aircraft carrier info 12/7/14
- Two hostages die in U.S. raid in Yemen 12/6/14
- Navy revokes Bill Cosby's honorary title 12/5/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.