The extent of the damage to the building meant there was too little information available to pinpoint an exact cause, city officials said Monday.
There are no indications the fire was suspicious, Everett Fire Marshal Rick Robinson said.
The fire was reported about 9:30 p.m. Nov. 8 at the historic McCrossen Building, just west of Comcast Arena on Hewitt Avenue.
Michael D. Beard, 61, died from smoke inhalation. Investigators believe the fire started in his room. His death was ruled an accident.
The building was ruled a total loss at about $1 million. Cleanup and demolition at the site is expected to take weeks.
More Local News Headlines
Six seek three contested seats on Everett City Council 3 honored with Family Values Awards Ronning challenging Rankin in Darrington mayoral race Faith Calendar Arlington man to be extradited in Minn. sex-abuse case Possible norovirus outbreak at Colby living facility Former sergeant admits he helped launder prostitution money Shirley Gilbertson loved her temp job so much, she stayed on for free
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.