The extent of the damage to the building meant there was too little information available to pinpoint an exact cause, city officials said Monday.
There are no indications the fire was suspicious, Everett Fire Marshal Rick Robinson said.
The fire was reported about 9:30 p.m. Nov. 8 at the historic McCrossen Building, just west of Comcast Arena on Hewitt Avenue.
Michael D. Beard, 61, died from smoke inhalation. Investigators believe the fire started in his room. His death was ruled an accident.
The building was ruled a total loss at about $1 million. Cleanup and demolition at the site is expected to take weeks.
More Local News Headlines
Lake Stevens man gets 71 years for 3-city shooting spree 4:12 p.m. Index Town Council candidate losing one race, winning another as a write-in Shoplifting suspects in Monroe return for milk, get busted Council OKs county budget; tax collection for courthouse to continue Man burned in duplex fire caused by candle 4:16 p.m. Herald reporter awarded for ‘compelling’ mental health story Students, Rotary bring Thanksgiving meals to Everett’s needy Front Porch: Free Navy Band concert
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.