The six current council members chose Boyer on Monday night from among four finalists. The council had narrowed the number of candidates from 15 to 8 and then selected the finalists at a meeting Oct. 29.
Boyer has been pastor of the Good Shepherd Baptist Church in Lynnwood for nearly eight years.
For part of that time, he wrote a column in the now-defunct Enterprise newspapers, which were owned by The Herald.
He will replace Cole, who lost her seat in late September.
Boyer is expected to take the oath of office Dec. 10, after the current council members have completed work on the city's annual budget.
Boyer will serve through the November 2013 election; he said he then plans to run for a full four-year term.
He had made an unsuccessful run for the council five years ago. Boyer is a originally from St. Louis, Mo.
Evan Smith can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most recent South County Politics posts
- Introductory statements from Edmonds Council candidates Petso, Tibbott Aug. 31
- Introducing charter-review candidates in County Council District 4 Aug. 28
- Introducing charter-review candidates in County Council District 3 Aug. 27
- U.S. Rep. Larsen, VA officials to meet vets at Mountlake Terrace Senior Center Aug. 27
- Familiar names on ballot for county charter-review commission Aug. 26
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.