The six current council members chose Boyer on Monday night from among four finalists. The council had narrowed the number of candidates from 15 to 8 and then selected the finalists at a meeting Oct. 29.
Boyer has been pastor of the Good Shepherd Baptist Church in Lynnwood for nearly eight years.
For part of that time, he wrote a column in the now-defunct Enterprise newspapers, which were owned by The Herald.
He will replace Cole, who lost her seat in late September.
Boyer is expected to take the oath of office Dec. 10, after the current council members have completed work on the city's annual budget.
Boyer will serve through the November 2013 election; he said he then plans to run for a full four-year term.
He had made an unsuccessful run for the council five years ago. Boyer is a originally from St. Louis, Mo.
Evan Smith can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most recent South County Politics posts
- Marko Liias will be assistant floor leader for Senate Democrats Nov. 23
- Local legislators say Eyman wrong about deal to repeal initiatives Nov. 23
- Lynnwood Council race back in recount range Nov. 18
- Council action on Brier fireworks vote could come in first half of 2016 Nov. 17
- Lynnwood Council race now out of recount range Nov. 16
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.