Sounders defender Patrick Ianni wins MLS Goal of the Year
But Vegas doesn't put odds on such trivial matters, so nobody got rich of the defender's shocking goal against Kansas City in June. And really, this award isn't anything to make a big deal out of. It's determined by a fan vote, which gives any Sounders player a pretty big leg up. So why am I dedicating a blog post to an award I just said isn't that significant?
Because it's an excuse to watch a rather tremendous goal another time.
When Ianni was asked after the game if that was the best goal he had ever scored--it was only the third of his MLS career--he said, "Yeah, definitely. Best goal in practice, games—since I was born, yeah.”
In quotes provided by the team Thursday, Ianni said of watching the goal now, "It makes me laugh every time I see it because I don't think of myself as someone that would try something so audacious."
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Seahawks-Patriots Wednesday injury report Jan. 28
- Seahawks CB Richard Sherman goes after Roger Goodell... again Jan. 28
- Seahawks CB and free-agent-to-be Byron Maxwell on being "the prettiest girl at the dance right now" Jan. 28
- Quotes from Seahawks coach Pete Carroll's Wednesday press conference. Jan. 28
- What Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch said Wednesday Jan. 28
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.