Fire officials say 28-year-old Shawn Apperson was trapped in a bedroom basement of his home Tuesday after helping his fiance and their 11-month-old baby climb out a window. He didn't fit through the window and was later found by firefighters.
Firefighters and neighbors also rescued three other children from the home in the Hillyard neighborhood.
Fire Chief Bobby Williams told The Spokesman-Review the fire was started by smoking materials that smoldered after a house guest left for work.
Apperson is in the intensive care unit at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
More Northwest Headlines
Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant Lawsuit over lease for Shell Arctic drilling fleet rejected Court denies Medina millionaire’s release from Montana jail Woman, 87, goes missing while picking berries in Skamania County 7:58 p.m. New wildfire burns at least 8 structures in Mason County 7:40 p.m. Judge tosses lawsuit seeking Kurt Cobain death-scene photos 6:02 p.m. Medical examiner: Motorist hit by train killed herself 5:19 p.m. Salmonella outbreak that may be tied to pork grows
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.