Fire officials say 28-year-old Shawn Apperson was trapped in a bedroom basement of his home Tuesday after helping his fiance and their 11-month-old baby climb out a window. He didn't fit through the window and was later found by firefighters.
Firefighters and neighbors also rescued three other children from the home in the Hillyard neighborhood.
Fire Chief Bobby Williams told The Spokesman-Review the fire was started by smoking materials that smoldered after a house guest left for work.
Apperson is in the intensive care unit at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
More Northwest Headlines
State senate committee discusses legalizing fantasy sports Alaska pot regulators OK on-site consumption Gorilla, 19, gives birth at Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle Officials change story on why Green River killer moved State regulators fine Shell Oil for toxic release in Anacortes Bicyclist dies in crash involving deputy in Eugene Oregon and Washington delay crab season because of toxin More than 90,000 Northwest customers remain without power
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.